PLEASE NOTE: On arrival your seedlings may appear a little yellow in color. This is normal as they have spent 1-3 days in a box without exposure to UV light. If your seedling still has seed leaves on it these will also be yellow. Click here to learn more about Seed Leaves.
Upon receipt of your seedlings, there are some important steps to follow
- Open box immediately and carefully remove the black separator trays.
- Remove the tape and lift off the top separator tray.
- Wooden skewers are used to hold the seedlings in place. Carefully remove the skewers and discard. NOTE: Skewers may have sharp ends. Keep away from children.
- Your seedlings come with a map showing the names and placement of your plants in the tray. Make sure to make plant markers for each seedling so you know which plant is which.
- Remove each seedling from the black separator tray carefully by grabbing the rockwool (either with your fingers, pliers or tweezers) and gently pulling out. DO NOT PULL ON THE PLANT ITSELF! You MUST remove seedlings from the black separator tray before placing outside. Seedlings left in the tray will literally bake in the hot summer sun.
- Water the seedlings thoroughly. NOTE: Dry rockwool repels water.
- If you are planting your seedlings immediately go to step 8. Otherwise, remove them from the black separator tray and place them in a plastic/foil/metal container or tray and put at least 1/4 inch of water (un-chlorinated is preferred) in the tray to ensure they will not dry out. It is fine to leave them here for a week or more, providing you water them every day, possibly twice a day. INSIDE, BEHIND A SUNNY WINDOW IS NOT SUFFICIENT as many windows have UV filters on them that filter out the light the plants need. Add water daily.
NOTE: In the cooler months, if temperatures are at or below 45 overnight, bring the seedlings inside but put them back outside the next day. When you are ready to transplant them to your Tower Garden ™ follow steps below.
- It is important to plant your Tower like a pyramid. Large/vine plants at the bottom, going up to the smallest at the top. To help you decide where to plant your seedlings we have listed the seedlings we sell, in the order you would plant them below, from the top of the Tower Garden™ to the bottom. The configuration is decided based on the size the plant will grow to.
Plant your seedlings directly in your Tower Garden. During the summer months, plant your seedlings directly in your Tower Garden™ IN THE EVENING. The extreme heat and nutrients can be a little overwhelming for a seedling that has spent a few days in a box! Ensure the rockwool is touching the bottom of the netpot. If it is not, the seedling will not get watered.
Make sure you have followed the directions in your Tower Garden ™ Growing Guide for filling the reservoir, adding nutrients, balancing the pH and setting the timer. The growing guide can be found here.
Most IMPORTANTLY: Have FUN watching your garden grow!
- Swiss Chard
- Greens (except Swiss Chard)
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Summer Squash/Zuchinni
- Butternut/Spaghetti Squash