PLEASE NOTE: On arrival your seedlings may appear a little yellow in color. This is normal as they have spent 2-3 days in a box without exposure to UV light. If your seedling still has seed leaves on it these will also be yellow. Click here to learn more about Seed Leaves. If you are concerned, please email pictures of the seedlings to firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of delivery. Please plant the seedlings, following the directions below, while you wait for our reply.
Upon receipt of your seedlings, there are some important steps to follow
- Open box immediately and carefully remove the clear shipping trays.
- Inspect seedlings for damage and notify us immediately if there are any problems by emailing email@example.com. Include pictures, your order number and your concerns.
- Your seedlings come with a plant marker showing the names so you can identify them. 1 per crop type is included.
- Remove each seedling from the tray carefully by grabbing the rockwool, not the plant. Please be especially careful with plants like squash, cucumber, beans and tomatoes that tend to have larger stems that may be intertwined with other seedlings. Be careful not to break them as you remove them.
- Water the seedlings thoroughly. NOTE: Dry rockwool repels water.
- If growing inside, gently swish the seedlings upside down in a bowl of insecticidal soap, neem and water. Do not put the rockwool in the water. Follow dosing directions on the bottle of neem oil. use a couple of drops of soap per quart of water.
TRANSPLANTING TO A TOWER GARDEN
- NEVER use softened water or City water that has not been filtered. You can use an inexpensive filter like this for chlorinated water. If your city uses Chloramine you will need a filter like this.
- If transplanting seedlings to an empty Tower Garden, use HALF STRENGTH MINERALS. This is 10ml of each A and B for every gallon of water. In a Tower Garden FLEX this is 200ml of each A and B. In a Tower Garden HOME this is 130ml of each.
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT STRAWBERRIES
- Our strawberries have been transplanted to a rockwool cube and secured in place with a rubber band while rooting. There is no need to remove the rubber band. Simply place them in the Tower Garden following the directions below.
- If temperatures are 85+ for outdoor Towers
- If you received them in the late afternoon/evening, you may place them directly in the Tower Garden planting them as outlined in step 10 below.
- If you received your seedlings in the morning, place them in a shallow tray with 1/2 inch of water and place them in a shady location for the rest of the day. The extreme heat and nutrients can be a little overwhelming for a seedling that has spent a few days in a box!
- It is fine to leave them in a sunny location for a week or more providing you water them every day, possibly twice a day.
- INSIDE, BEHIND A SUNNY WINDOW OR UNDER REGULAR LIGHTS IS NOT SUFFICIENT as many windows have UV filters on them that filter out the light the plants need and regular lights do not provide the UV plants need.
- Swiss Chard
- Greens (except Swiss Chard)
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Summer Squash/Zucchini
- Butternut/Spaghetti and other vining Squash
IF YOU ARE NOT TRANSPLANTING TO A TOWER GARDEN YET